Friday, July 3, 2009

Dead Racoons and Cherry pie

We have the best neighbors; in the front quiet bird lovers with a great dog, to the side a family of Mormons, lovely people, behind us the most interesting couple... The male part of the couple, I will call him Bob, is a bit of a yard working recluse. Out of all of our neighbors they are the most like us, obviously the favorite. If he is out in the yard he is wearing earphones, the big yellow kind. When he talks it is like Winnie the Pooh. You have to concentrate on listening to him and take care not to interrupt. He invited us over last weekend to pick his cherries. An invitation we look forward to each summer. As we crossed the fence at the Hydrangea and passed his winged spindle tree (Burning bush)I noticed the sound of buzzing flies. There in a "have a heart" trap was a dead raccoon. Perhaps the same raccoon that has vandalized my bird feeders every night for at least three summers. I like to outsmart him. Sometimes I he tiptoed across the railing of our porch and swung the bird feeders to and fro like prayer wheels, spreading seeds into my flower beds and filing the cracks in our porch. I always liked that image. Now here he was a bloated corpse. Last week my bird loving neighbors let us know that they had spotted four baby raccoons-that he is actually a she is too much to think about. Bob said that he trapped her and then tried to give her food and water but she got angry at him. She died in the cage before he had a chance to relocate her. I can't imagine why that bloated corpse is still in his yard peppered with flies. We picked our cherries but all I could think to make was horror pie

No comments:

Post a Comment